POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Laser lines Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Laser lines (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: zorni
Subject: Laser lines
Date: 17 Jul 2003 04:10:52
Message: <3f165a0c$1@news.povray.org>
How can i create a realistic laser line?
So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
gap...the result is not really sufficient.

Regards

Post a reply to this message

"zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat> wrote in message
> How can i create a realistic laser line?
> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
> gap...the result is not really sufficient.
>
> Regards

    I believe that the common solution is to use a cylinder full of emitting
medium.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Post a reply to this message

>"zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat> wrote in message
>> How can i create a realistic laser line?
>> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
>> gap...the result is not really sufficient.
>>
>> Regards
>
>    I believe that the common solution is to use a cylinder full of emitting
>medium.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Chip Shults
>My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Or if you want to model it close to the way it works, a cylinder light
passing
through a scattering medium should work (but it would also likely be
slower...)

I'd use emitting media for 'laser guns' and cylinder-lights through
scattering
media for 'scientific' lasers, probably (and especially if I wanted to
bounce
them off of mirrors).

--Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2003 12:28:32
Message: <cjameshuff-F24872.11261417072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f165a0c$1@news.povray.org>, "zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat>
wrote:

> How can i create a realistic laser line?

What exactly do you mean by "laser line"? A laser beam that is spread
out to make a long line on a surface, as is used in some laser levels?
The visible line of scattered light a laser makes when travelling
through a scattering medium? The radial lines you some times get when
you take a picture with the laser going into the camera?

> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
> gap...the result is not really sufficient.

In what way is this not enough? It's difficult to give a better solution
when you don't say why the old solution isn't good enough.

Assuming you want a laser beam through a scattering medium: the simplest
and most accurate way is with photons deposited in scattering media. The
optics.pov demo scene gives a good example of this. For a laser, it
would be better to use a parallel cylinder light instead of the
halogen-like spotlight in that scene, but the technique is the same.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Jul 2003 12:31:49
Message: <3f16cf75$1@news.povray.org>
wrote:

> How can i create a realistic laser line?
> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
> gap...the result is not really sufficient.

I suppose you want it to be visible?  Take a look at optics.pov that comes
with POV-Ray 3.5.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: stoecher
Date: 30 Oct 2003 06:15:01
Message: <web.3fa0f1b69a8fede7e9df71c0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <3f165a0c$1[at]news.povray.org>, "zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat>
>wrote:
>
>> How can i create a realistic laser line?
>
>What exactly do you mean by "laser line"? A laser beam that is spread
>out to make a long line on a surface, as is used in some laser levels?
That's the problem I am interested in.
What would solve my problem: if there was an option similar to
"cylinder", but constraining the light to the space between two
parallel planes.

>In what way is this not enough? It's difficult to give a better solution
>when you don't say why the old solution isn't good enough.
When sending light through a small gap the width of the projected
line depends on the distance to the light-source/gap.

thanks,

Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Oct 2003 13:19:23
Message: <cjameshuff-AC9E2A.13172830102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3fa0f1b69a8fede7e9df71c0@news.povray.org>,
 "stoecher" <sto### [at] gmxat> wrote:

> >In what way is this not enough? It's difficult to give a better solution
> >when you don't say why the old solution isn't good enough.
> When sending light through a small gap the width of the projected
> line depends on the distance to the light-source/gap.

Hmm...use an ordinary point light, and a negative light at the same
position using projected_through with a union of two planes. The
negative light will only illuminate parts of the scene on the other
sides of the planes, cancelling out the actual light on all parts of the
scene "inside" the union of planes.

light_source {Point, Color}

light_source {Point, -Color
    projected_through {
        union {plane {y,-0.1} plane {-y,-0.1}}
    }
}

From: stoecher
Date: 22 Nov 2003 17:00:02
Message: <web.3fbfd9e59a8fede7cf187cb30@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>light_source {Point, Color}
>light_source {Point, -Color
>    projected_through {
>        union {plane {y,-0.1} plane {-y,-0.1}}
>    }
>}

great idea!
But there is a problem with shadows,
as can be seen in the scene below.
Is this a bug in povray?

thank you,

Wolfgang
--------------------------------------
#include "colors.inc"
camera {location <0,20,20> look_at <0,0,0>}
light_source {<-14,20,30> White}

#declare LaserPoint = <0,0,20>;
light_source {LaserPoint, Red}
light_source {LaserPoint, -Red
    projected_through {
        union {plane {y,-0.3} plane {y,0.3}}
    }
}

cylinder
{ <0,-3,0>, <0,3,0>, 8 open
  pigment {Yellow}
}
triangle
{ <12,-3,0> <16,-3,0> <14,3,0>
  pigment {Yellow}
}
// background plane showing green shadows!
plane {z,-10 pigment{White}}

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Nov 2003 18:43:16
Message: <cjameshuff-7574B6.18380322112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3fbfd9e59a8fede7cf187cb30@news.povray.org>,
 "stoecher" <sto### [at] gmxat> wrote:

> But there is a problem with shadows,
> as can be seen in the scene below.
> Is this a bug in povray?

Not a bug. Objects do not shadow light from a projected_through light
until it hits the projected_through object. The light still comes from a
single point, so while the positive light is getting shadowed, the
negative light is constantly leaking through the projected_through
planes past the shadowing object. Parallel lights will partially fix
this problem:

light_source {LaserPoint, Red
    parallel point_at -z
}
light_source {LaserPoint, -Red
    parallel point_at -z
    projected_through {
        plane {z, 20 clipped_by {union {plane {-y,-0.3} plane {y,-0.3}}}}
    }
}

However, they introduce a new one...all light rays are parallel, rather
than originating from a vertical line. This will affect shading and
shadowing, but may not be noticeable. You could approximate a "spread"
light by using multiple spot lights combined with this technique...