POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Laser lines : Re: Laser lines Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laser lines
From: Chris Amshey
Date: 17 Jul 2003 11:50:01
Message: <web.3f16c49c9a8fede761b99e900@news.povray.org>
Sir Charles W. Shults III wrote:
>"zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat> wrote in message
>> How can i create a realistic laser line?
>> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
>> gap...the result is not really sufficient.
>>
>> Regards
>
>    I believe that the common solution is to use a cylinder full of emitting
>medium.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Chip Shults
>My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Or if you want to model it close to the way it works, a cylinder light
passing
through a scattering medium should work (but it would also likely be
slower...)

I'd use emitting media for 'laser guns' and cylinder-lights through
scattering
media for 'scientific' lasers, probably (and especially if I wanted to
bounce
them off of mirrors).

--Chris