POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Laser lines : Re: Laser lines Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laser lines
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2003 12:28:32
Message: <cjameshuff-F24872.11261417072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f165a0c$1@news.povray.org>, "zorni" <zor### [at] gmxat>
wrote:

> How can i create a realistic laser line?

What exactly do you mean by "laser line"? A laser beam that is spread
out to make a long line on a surface, as is used in some laser levels?
The visible line of scattered light a laser makes when travelling
through a scattering medium? The radial lines you some times get when
you take a picture with the laser going into the camera?

> So far I just managed to create it by passing red light through a thin
> gap...the result is not really sufficient.

In what way is this not enough? It's difficult to give a better solution
when you don't say why the old solution isn't good enough.

Assuming you want a laser beam through a scattering medium: the simplest
and most accurate way is with photons deposited in scattering media. The
optics.pov demo scene gives a good example of this. For a laser, it
would be better to use a parallel cylinder light instead of the
halogen-like spotlight in that scene, but the technique is the same.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/