POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Scanline rendering in POV-Ray (Message 87 to 96 of 96)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray
Date: 5 Jun 2003 19:32:55
Message: <3edfd327$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> There are lots of YARs (Yet Another Renderer) and YAMs (Yet Another
> Modeller) out there and I wish the developers had taken the time to
> understand what people needed before wasting their own time (and the time of
> their users)...

*cough* Poser 5 *cough*

*snicker*

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Perhaps a "process_geometry" keyword
Date: 5 Jun 2003 19:53:58
Message: <cjameshuff-CD8472.18451705062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3edf58c8@news.povray.org>,
 "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> Because the SDL is not always the preferred language.
> A person might have legacy code in another language,
> or prefer to use C++ because it's object oriented,
> or compiled code runs faster when object generation
> involves some complex process, etc. All else being
> equal, I'd rather write in C/C++ just because... I'm
> tired of having to type "#declare" every time I
> want to assign a value to a variable in SDL.

Try MegaPOV...IIRC, it includes my #set patch. Not exactly the same as
in languages like C++, but an improvement.
Anyway, there are reasons for the current scene language. With one
common scene language, everybody understands each other. And with that
language under the control of the writers of the program, it can be
designed specially for the job of scene description. I've done scenes in
C++, and while great for complex algorithms, it is unwieldy for just
describing a scene. On top of this, it reduces dependencies on platforms
and external software packages...not everybody has a C++ compiler, and a
text source file can be freely exchanged without worries about
processors, OS's, languages, or compiler versions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>> There are lots of YARs (Yet Another Renderer) and YAMs (Yet Another
>> Modeller) out there and I wish the developers had taken the time to
>> understand what people needed before wasting their own time (and the
>> time of
>> their users)...
>

> *cough* Poser 5 *cough*
>
> *snicker*

You appear to misunderstand Poser's primary application, it is not
primarily a renderer and not a modeller at all.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 5 Jun 2003 23:21:04
Message: <3ee008a0$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> You appear to misunderstand Poser's primary application, it is not
> primarily a renderer and not a modeller at all.

It's more the 'wishing the developers had taken the time to understand
what people needed before wasting their own time (and the time of their
users)' that brings Poser 5 to mind...version 4 was better.

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jun 2003 23:31:39
Message: <cjameshuff-57AFC5.22225805062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee00100@news.povray.org>, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> You appear to misunderstand Poser's primary application, it is not
> primarily a renderer and not a modeller at all.

I think that was actually in reference to the "I wish the developers had
taken the time to understand what people needed before wasting their own
time (and the time of their users)..." portion of the message.

From: Tim Cook
Date: 6 Jun 2003 09:26:24
Message: <3ee09680@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> I think that was actually in reference to the "I wish the developers had
> taken the time to understand what people needed before wasting their own
> time (and the time of their users)..." portion of the message.

Wow, is there an echo in here or what?! ;)

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
Date: 7 Jun 2003 09:48:43
Message: <3ee1ed3b@news.povray.org>
"Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote in message

> > Ray, Thorsten is not posting on behalf of the POV-Team, those are
> > purely his own thoughts.
>
> Okay. I wasn't sure, because his sig mentioned
> he was on the POV-Team.

In general, when team members post here, unless they specifically
state that they are posting officially, what they say is their own
opinion. The team is a diverse group of individuals and we do not
always agree on all subjects ;)

-- Chris Cason
   POV-Team co-ordinator
   [speaking officially]

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Jun 2003 08:16:45
Message: <7qibevgkmfr5lpmeqqijf04m7kk90ji3gd@4ax.com>
On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:01:39 +0200, "Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>the developers. It's not a users vs developers game. The two latest members
>of the POV-Team (Nathan Kopp and Ron Parker) started out as patchers, took
>it on their own to add features that became extremely popular, maintained
>and supported complex multipatches for a while (thus demonstrating their
>goodwill and ability to interact with users) and were quickly "promoted" as
>developers.

And the Team's younger brother, the TAG, consists of a) famous POV
artists such as yourself, b) very active members of this server, such
as Uncle Ken and myself (back then...), and c) experienced POV users
with lots of programming skills, such as Warp and Chris Huff (and of
course the lines between a), b) and c) are blurred :) ). The
beta-testers were more or less of the same major breeds (elvish, human
and zombies, respectively :)) ). The influence of the user base on the
Team is tremendous.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Jun 2003 08:23:14
Message: <ebjbev8lit9ako7etj3j4slmehduu66q61@4ax.com>
On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:27:07 -0400, Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet>
wrote:

>Wow, is there an echo in here or what?! ;)

c:\echo
ECHO is on

That kinda explains it.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Jun 2003 08:25:02
Message: <rejbevsqtvavan1hqhq7332a1tr1gn725e@4ax.com>
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:44:21 +1000, "Chris Cason"
<new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:

>...we do not always agree on all subjects ;)

What with Thorsten on the Team... :))

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg