POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Perhaps a "process_geometry" keyword Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Perhaps a "process_geometry" keyword
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jun 2003 19:53:58
Message: <cjameshuff-CD8472.18451705062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3edf58c8@news.povray.org>,
 "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> Because the SDL is not always the preferred language.
> A person might have legacy code in another language,
> or prefer to use C++ because it's object oriented,
> or compiled code runs faster when object generation
> involves some complex process, etc. All else being
> equal, I'd rather write in C/C++ just because... I'm
> tired of having to type "#declare" every time I
> want to assign a value to a variable in SDL.

Try MegaPOV...IIRC, it includes my #set patch. Not exactly the same as
in languages like C++, but an improvement.
Anyway, there are reasons for the current scene language. With one
common scene language, everybody understands each other. And with that
language under the control of the writers of the program, it can be
designed specially for the job of scene description. I've done scenes in
C++, and while great for complex algorithms, it is unwieldy for just
describing a scene. On top of this, it reduces dependencies on platforms
and external software packages...not everybody has a C++ compiler, and a
text source file can be freely exchanged without worries about
processors, OS's, languages, or compiler versions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/