POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiometry, photometry, candela, lux, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Radiometry, photometry, candela, lux, etc... (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Radiometry, photometry, candela, lux, etc...
Date: 24 May 2003 11:59:07
Message: <cjameshuff-A65197.11001424052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3ecf8a69a14066c984d065310@news.povray.org>,
 "Matti Karnaattu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Photographers use gray surface which reflects 18% light back to make
> adjustments because it looks half bright.
>
>   0.18^x = 0.5
>
>   x = ln(0.5)/ln(0.18)
>
> I'm not sure about this gamma. I'm still looking more information about
> simulating camera and human eye dynamic range.

The gamma is an approximation to the non-linear response curve of CRT
phosphors: 50% gray is neither 50% intensity nor 50% apparent intensity.
Gamma currection compensates for this to give a nearly linear response.
(LCD's have an S-shaped curve, probably based on cosine, but modern LCD
displays probably compensate for this electronically.)

I don't know if a logarithmic scale would be useful given the limited
dynamic range of monitors and typical depth resolutions (usually 8 bits
per component, for 255 non-black levels). Also, people who work with
color learn to use linear values, they would have to re-learn everything
to use a logarithmic color space. It isn't more "correct", it is just a
different system.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/