POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyrights! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Copyrights! (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Copyrights!
Date: 20 Jan 2003 10:58:27
Message: <3e2c1ca3@news.povray.org>
If I were to make available a scene file (flocking algorithm, posable blob
character)  I would have these opinions about what ought to govern use of
the file:

1) no "OFFENSIVE" copyright.  If someone took my blob character and made a
TV commercial for which they were paid a million bucks, I'd be happy for
them, because I had contributed my code in the spirit of a freeware
community.

2) adamant "DEFENSIVE" copyright.  If someone were to take my *code* and to
incorporate it into software that they then earned $100 on, I'd be ticked.
I'd also hope that my public posting could prevent some corporation like
Alias  a few years from now  from, say, getting a software patent <gag> on
"all flocking algorithms using constant acceleration."    Or suppose the guy
who made the TV commercial with my blobman then tries to exercise some kind
of right of royalty to images made using the blob character he or she
**popularized**, or get a software patent on my code.
These three uses of my material IMHO would go against the spirit of a
freeware community.

My philosophy is somewhat similar AFAICS to the povray EULA, where one can
make any commercial use of the generated images--  just don't try to make
any money off of the code itself.    I have a scene file included with pov
3.5, where I put the words "Copyright Greg M. Johnson.", and this is what I
meant when I wrote that.

Q: Is this already the policy for example with postings to p.t.s-f.?
Q: Is this the way things should be?
Q: Do we need to come up with some sort of common statement where we can
say, "Use of this code is governed by the Povray Freeware Contributors
Community Copyright Statement?"

Post a reply to this message