POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyrights! : Re: Copyrights! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyrights!
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jan 2003 09:56:04
Message: <3E2D5F85.7A424921@gmx.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> In a nutshell:
> POV-Ray SDL as a modelling language : unusable outside POV
> POV-Ray as a renderer : no direct support for industry formats (RIB etc.)
> This alone leaves 0 room for POV-Ray use in a regular 3D production
> workflow.
> I'm not mentioning other reasons related to features, speed, training etc.

I generally agree but i would put 'training' (and lack of familiarity)
above all other things in terms problems for usage in CG industry.
POV-Ray would surely be suited as an external renderer with a very broad
set of features but efficient use of those features making POV-Ray
superior to other rendering tools really requires a lot of experience.

What might underline this: I have hardly seen any CG professional who
really knows what POV-Ray is capable of, most think it is just a tool for
experiments with reflective spheres on checkered grounds incapable of
rendering any larger scene (a critique that is similarly applied, but in
this case right, to most low quality beginners tools).

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______