POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyrights! : Re: Copyrights! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyrights!
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 21 Jan 2003 12:47:11
Message: <3e2d879f$1@news.povray.org>

3E2D5F85.7A424921@gmx.de...
> POV-Ray would surely be suited as an external renderer with a very broad
> set of features but efficient use of those features making POV-Ray
> superior to other rendering tools really requires a lot of experience.

As a renderer, POV-Ray can do wonders and certainly many people,
particularly in the CG industry, ignore that.
But the main issue here is streamlining the rendering process. Funneling
scenes made elsewhere into POV-Ray is a major hurdle because they must be
converted first and a lot is lost in the process (shaders with no POV-Ray
equivalent). Even the geometry can be troublesome (mesh artefacts, problems
with some model formats). Also, some SDL tweaking is often necessary after
the conversion to get good results. I suppose that these problems alone make
it impossible to use in production.

Of course, if someone could make POV-Ray fully compatible with the big apps
that would be a different story. Still, prestige notwithstanding, is this
really necessary?

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com