POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making this Christmas ornament look more real Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Making this Christmas ornament look more real (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Graphic Designer
Subject: Making this Christmas ornament look more real
Date: 4 Dec 2002 13:48:58
Message: <MPG.1858187e9b1328d0989680@news.povray.org>
Hello,

It's been a long while since I've posted in these newsgroups, but here
goes:

I'd designing a Christmas e-card for a client, and I'm trying to get a
realistic looking ornament. You can take a look at my current render at:
http://www.docbrown.net/ornament2.jpg

Right now, the code for the ornament is:
union {
        sphere {
                <0,0,0>, 1
                pigment {color red 0.45}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.2
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.6
                        metallic
                        specular 0.95
                        roughness 1/120
                        reflection <0.5,0.03,0.03>
                        }
                }
        intersection{
                cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,1.25,0>,0.3}
                cylinder {<0,-1,0>,<0,2,0>,0.2}
                        pigment {rgb 0.8}
                        finish {
                                ambient 0.2
                                brilliance 6
                                diffuse 0.7
                                metallic
                                //specular 0.80
                                //roughness 1/120
                                reflection 0.1
                                }
                }
        torus{
                0.2,0.01
                pigment {rgb 0.8}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.1
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.7
                        metallic
                        specular 0.80
                        roughness 1/120
                        reflection 0.9
                        }
                rotate 90*x
                translate 1.25*y
                }
        torus{
                0.1,0.01
                pigment {rgb 0.4}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.1
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.7
                        metallic
                        }
                rotate 90*x
                rotate 90*y
                translate 1.55*y
                }
        scale 40
        translate <-50,-6.5,0>
        }

What I need to do it to get the ornament to look more real. Right now,
It still looks flat, and the reflections aren't right. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how I could improve the ornament? Thanks!

-Ed Wedig
--
****************************
Edward Wedig

Post a reply to this message

"Graphic Designer" <doc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> What I need to do it to get the ornament to look more real. Right now,
> It still looks flat, and the reflections aren't right. Does anyone have
> any suggestions on how I could improve the ornament? Thanks!

Put an environment behind the camera for the ornament to reflect.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> "Graphic Designer" <doc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> >
> > What I need to do it to get the ornament to look more real. Right now,
> > It still looks flat, and the reflections aren't right. Does anyone have
> > any suggestions on how I could improve the ornament? Thanks!
> >

> Put an environment behind the camera for the ornament to reflect.
>
>  -Shay

I thought about that, but I'm afraid of making it look too cluttered.
Plus, I have to have this project finished by December 10th, and I still
need to animate it (just a little, probably swing the ornament).

-Ed
--