POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  My particle system is released (Message 61 to 70 of 72)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: My particle system is released
Date: 22 Oct 2002 21:29:47
Message: <MPG.181fa7b31fa247519896a7@news.povray.org>
In article <3db5d725@news.povray.org>, run### [at] mobilixnetdk
says...
> Kari Kivisalo wrote:
> > Would this work for making a still shot of a snowy
> > scene where it has been snowing for some time from
> > various directions.
>
> No, that would require too many particles, and the system is not at all
> optimized for this task.
>
> > Would the snow accumulate over time? Stick to surfaces?
>
> No and no. Sorry. :/
>
> But thinking about it, I don't think that any particle system would be
> well suited for a task like this. Assuming that we are talking about at
> least semi-realistic snow spread over a somewhat large area...
Hmm.. I don't know, if your surface was a blob or something like one then
each particle that died as it impacted could be added to the structure of
the blob with some threshold that caused multiple objects to be replaced
by a single larger object or the like. Of course from what I read
someplace else about blobs, this may not work quite right...

> Rune
> --
> 3D images and anims, include files, tutorials and more:
> rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)
> POV-Ray Ring: http://webring.povray.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 22 Oct 2002 21:57:10
Message: <Xns92AFDE7B744BAtomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in news:3db57a70
@news.povray.org:

> Gilles Tran wrote:
>> you hurt yourself because of the lack of exposure you
>> need as someone with real 3D skills.
>
> Somehow I doubt that greater exposure of my include files would make
> anyone hire me, send me free things, or anything like that.
>
> Rune

I don't.

I have bought and upgraded Moray several times.  I have bought Midnite
Modellor.  I own a few keyrings, all the IRTC CD-ROMS, Gilles Trans Zebra
poster is on my to purchase list.  That is just the POV community way.
Over the years I have spent thousands buying shareware and making
donations to open source software.  Your particle system would be high on
my list for a donation if the terms of use were in the original stone
soup spirit that started POV-Ray off.  What I mean by that is:

- GPL the include(at sourceforge would be nice).
- Set up a wishlist at Amazon
- Or a paypal button.

Take a look at the gifts that the Maintainer of AWstats(a wonderful
package BTW) has received recently:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/registry/3F19UHYYQRBPA/102-1233161-
5494538?registry.reveal-purchases=true

My purchase from earlier this month has already scrolled off the list.
Now I am not saying that you will have the same success, but I would
wager that you would receive more compensation this way, because the
people in this community do give back.

As it stands now I do not use your includes and IMP can not either.
Please don't take this as an attack.  It is a plea to free the includes
and trust the community to take care of it's own.

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 22 Oct 2002 23:59:07
Message: <3db61e8b$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:

> So theft of information is ok, eh?

Since information which is made available to others can't be owned, it
can't be stolen. Your question is meaningless.

> Well then, there's one obvious way
> for me to avoid that happening, and that is not to publish or release
> the information in the first place. That would also save me all the work
> of writing documentation and making everything neat, and there probably
> wouldn't be anyone complaining either. It really is a tempting thing to
> consider for my future projects...

That's exactly right. The only way you can exercise any control over
your information is to keep it to yourself and never release it.

Perhaps you should consider carefully what you would prefer: that
everybody have what you create, or that nobody have what you create. All
other choices are ultimately illusory.

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 23 Oct 2002 02:21:57
Message: <3db64005@news.povray.org>
I guess for cases like "snow-piling", it would be
best to build specifically designed systems for
just this task, by cropping some useful algorithms
from the existing system and creating a new,
less versatile system.
In this case, I'd say:
-Drop particles onto surfaces with the typical
particle routine, just let them drop until they
sort of stay where they are.
-As soon as they've stopped, add them to a
file which is loaded to be part of the object that
particles are to bounce off from

This might require some tweaking to the systems
core routine, cause new objects will be popping
up all over the place...

Might make an interesting project though.

Well, just my 2 cents worth,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 23 Oct 2002 06:32:14
Message: <3db67aae$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> POV-Ray is not a get-rich-quick scheme.

What!!!??!?!?!?!!

--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.co.uk
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

---

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2002 06:45:02
Message: <3db67dae$1@news.povray.org>

3db67aae$1@news.povray.org...
> Gilles Tran wrote:
> > POV-Ray is not a get-rich-quick scheme.
>
> What!!!??!?!?!?!!

Sorry for that. And there's worse...
I heard it can't be used to enlarge body parts. And if "you're married and
lonely", you'll stay that way.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 23 Oct 2002 08:25:11
Message: <d45drucjjdh4uhoa7shncll38ckn875vsg@4ax.com>
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:45:42 +0200, "Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>I heard it can't be used to enlarge body parts.

It has been proven to enlarge knuckles, wrist tendons, diopters,
bellies, beards as well as the adrenal gland (as in "Oooh oooh 11pps
*drool* *faints*")

>And if "you're married and lonely", you'll stay that way.

It's also been shown to lead to the latter without the former being
true.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Kaveh
Date: 23 Oct 2002 10:11:24
Message: <1fki98t.1x3abf2fylqbkN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
I have been following the mails on this issue. I feel I must make a
short contribution. (Sorry, longer than I expected!)

My feeling is that you might be best served in the long term with GPL.
You have the following protection:

- Your copyright is protected even in any derivative work.

- All derivative work will be available to the public, with you still
retained as primary author. The code cannot be compiled into a black
box.

- The code will be improved, debugged if need be, but you will always be
principal author.

- If anyone violates your rights, FSF will help you in litigation, with
their lawyers.

Of course, GPL allows anyone to use your code for any commercial
purpose, and charge as much money as they want. This is probably your
nightmare scenario, someone making millions, and you getting nothing.
But the chances of that are small, especially when your code is open and
in the public domain.

I agree with others that it is in your interest to let the povray
community modify, and add to your system. This will be the 'education'
that you refer to in your license, and it will only enhance your profile
and recognition. As the primary author, you will probably continue to be
the most skilled user of the files, as you will keenly follow all
improvements, and anyone wanting to hire a programmer for a job will
probably approach you first.

----------

Some background might be of interest.

I and a partner run a technical typesetting business, working on
mathematical journals. Main office is in India. We use almost entirely
free (mostly GPL) software, with Linux as the operating system, and TeX
as the typesetting engine. We are almost unique in the industry. Most
companies use bespoke software, at great expense. We have less bugs,
almost no software overheads, and we therefore have a higher profit
margin than our competitors. So I unashamedly say that we are making
good money out of free software, and keen to advertise that fact to our
clients. Less overheads means better conditions for our staff, and more
relaxed attitude in the office.

We also do our bit and contribute to free software. As an example, my
partner is the author of PDFscreen, a package (GPL) that produces linked
PDF documents from starndard Latex files, without using Distiller. The
package was released about 4 years ago, quickly added to and debugged by
third parties, and now has a user base of thousands. Someone mentioned
google. You can do a search on pdfscreen to see how people are using it.

Although many people have contributed, my partner, Radhakrishnan is the
undisputed author, and the name always associated with the package. If a
big publisher wanted to do something really serious with this, he would
probably be called upon.

So this is a live example of how you could distribute your software. I
think that the GPL software is the best way of attacking the competing
commercial software, and the guys whose only measurement of 'success' is
in dollars. I hope that in the long run, GPL will disarm them.

--------------

If you are bored already, then you won't have got this far. But you
might ask what the hell I am doing here, and not counting my money from
the business!

Well, because I discovered povray recently and fell in love with it,
just as I fell in love with TeX (in 1983!). There are many parallels:

- It's the best software in the field
- It's free
- The output can't be surpassed
- It's improving all the time
- It's code driven
- It can read from and write to external files

One specific possible application is to use povray as a graphics package
to be used by TeX to embed graphics into interactive documents. So TeX
would write out a povray file, which would run through povray, and the
result be called back again into a pdf file. An example would be
navigation buttons, with the text passed from TeX as a parameter. This
would fit nicely into pdfscreen. We could then make even nicer documents
than we are doing now.

I also want to write a library for drawing an optical layout in the
laboratory. (My other life is in Optics and Holography.) I am
particularly interested in ray tracing through holograms. Most optical
software uses forward ray tracing, but I have a feeling that for
holograms, backwards ray tracing is more appropriate. That's probably
going into too much detail now.

----------------

As a conclusion, the way to get povray out of the 'hobby' area and into
the big world, where it belongs, is to blast the world with freebies, to
show them that there is an alternative to 'corporate' software.
Companies are already questioning their wisdom in investing heavily in
packaged, professionally supported software. And when they do come
round, it's yourselves they will have to turn to for advice and
consultancy.

----------------

Sorry for the long mail, guys. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 23 Oct 2002 11:15:35
Message: <3db6bd17@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> I guess for cases like "snow-piling", it would be
> best to build specifically designed systems for
> just this task, by cropping some useful algorithms
> from the existing system and creating a new,
> less versatile system.
> In this case, I'd say:
> -Drop particles onto surfaces with the typical
> particle routine, just let them drop until they
> sort of stay where they are.
> -As soon as they've stopped, add them to a
> file which is loaded to be part of the object that
> particles are to bounce off from
>
> This might require some tweaking to the systems
> core routine, cause new objects will be popping
> up all over the place...

I used a similar trick for placing leaves on the ground in "Portrait of
Autumn" (which I really should work on some more.. if I can find the
time): generating a layer of leaves and then adding them to an
"everything" object for trace() purposes. It works well enough, but
makes for some ugly code.

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

From: Jerry
Date: 23 Oct 2002 13:11:13
Message: <jerry-864306.10111323102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3db5e6b8@news.povray.org>,
 "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:
>> I actually think the odds for earning some cash that way are
>> better then through direct sales - in the long run that is.
>
>Well, I fail to see how.

I once wrote an enhancement for PHP's ftp routines that allowed ftping
directly to a string (or directly from a string, I can't remember now),
in a manner similar to what PHP's file access routines could do with a
file. It was completely unnecessary, because PHP's file access routines
could work with URLs.

It was really a problem with the documentation--at the time, PHP's FTP
documentation did not refer to the file access documentation for people
needing those features. So I added a note to the PHP documentation
comment area (PHP's web documentation is the only programming language
documentation for which I prefer the on-line version to printed version)
noting what I had done and why it was unnecessary.

it, would have been nil; the functionality was completely unnecessary.
But because of that comment I have actually received (and been paid for)
a review job for the FTP section of a PHP book :*)

(note follow-ups)

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>