POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Oct 2002 21:29:47
Message: <MPG.181fa7b31fa247519896a7@news.povray.org>
In article <3db5d725@news.povray.org>, run### [at] mobilixnetdk
says...
> Kari Kivisalo wrote:
> > Would this work for making a still shot of a snowy
> > scene where it has been snowing for some time from
> > various directions.
>
> No, that would require too many particles, and the system is not at all
> optimized for this task.
>
> > Would the snow accumulate over time? Stick to surfaces?
>
> No and no. Sorry. :/
>
> But thinking about it, I don't think that any particle system would be
> well suited for a task like this. Assuming that we are talking about at
> least semi-realistic snow spread over a somewhat large area...
Hmm.. I don't know, if your surface was a blob or something like one then
each particle that died as it impacted could be added to the structure of
the blob with some threshold that caused multiple objects to be replaced
by a single larger object or the like. Of course from what I read
someplace else about blobs, this may not work quite right...