POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 23 Oct 2002 11:15:35
Message: <3db6bd17@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> I guess for cases like "snow-piling", it would be
> best to build specifically designed systems for
> just this task, by cropping some useful algorithms
> from the existing system and creating a new,
> less versatile system.
> In this case, I'd say:
> -Drop particles onto surfaces with the typical
> particle routine, just let them drop until they
> sort of stay where they are.
> -As soon as they've stopped, add them to a
> file which is loaded to be part of the object that
> particles are to bounce off from
>
> This might require some tweaking to the systems
> core routine, cause new objects will be popping
> up all over the place...

I used a similar trick for placing leaves on the ground in "Portrait of
Autumn" (which I really should work on some more.. if I can find the
time): generating a layer of leaves and then adding them to an
"everything" object for trace() purposes. It works well enough, but
makes for some ugly code.

-Xplo