POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lights and tiles Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  lights and tiles (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Valdemir Carrara
Subject: lights and tiles
Date: 2 May 2002 09:29:32
Message: <3CD13F99.99F666E7@dem.inpe.br>
Hi,

That's my first intro in the pov newsgroup, so I hope
you guys be patient. I have two questions, and I
didn't find the answer in the FAQ area (though is
almost impossible to find something in this huge
place).

I'm a pov user (not a expert user, I have to addmit), and
I'd like to make two suggestions for program improvements.

1 - I'd like to see the "tiles" keyword back to Pov
  textures, but with the sense of tiles and not the
  sense of checkboard. Tiles are a mixture of checboard
  with brick. It has a mortar, and resembles a checboard.
  Pov 3.x can't generate a texture where a brick is
  exatly bellow other. Instead, one brick extends two
  halves of the bricks above and bellow. I think that
  one tile should be placed exatly bellow other in
  the tile texture.

2 - There's something strange in the way that light
  intensity is calculated. Real lights have intensity
  decreasing proportionally to the inverse of the
  squared distance:

   I  = K / d^2

  Pov calculates the "attenuation" by means of a similar
  equation, but with a significative difference:

  Attenuation = 2 / [1 + {d / fade_dist)^power]

  As you can see, if one consider fade_dist = 1 and power
  equal to 2, it is impossible to obtain the real light
  intensity:

  Attenuation = 2 / [1 + d^2],

  due to the presence of the "1" in the denominator. I
  suggest that this could be modified in the following
  way:

  Attenuation = 2 / [ K + {d / fade_dist)^power]

  Of course it would be user responsability to avoid
"division
  by zero" that could happen if the light is positioned
  in an object surface (d = 0) and if K = 0.

Valdemir Carrara

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

On Thu, 02 May 2002 10:31:05 -0300, Valdemir Carrara <val### [at] deminpebr> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> That's my first intro in the pov newsgroup, so I hope
> you guys be patient.

there is special group for people like you: povray.newusers

> I have two questions, and I
> didn't find the answer in the FAQ area (though is
> almost impossible to find something in this huge
> place).

You mean povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/

>1 - I'd like to see the "tiles" keyword back to Pov
>    textures, but with the sense of tiles and not the
>    sense of checkboard. Tiles are a mixture of checboard
>    with brick. It has a mortar, and resembles a checboard.
>    Pov 3.x can't generate a texture where a brick is
>    exatly bellow other. Instead, one brick extends two
>    halves of the bricks above and bellow. I think that
>    one tile should be placed exatly bellow other in
>    the tile texture.

I really don't understand this wish. What you mean as "below" ? under in
leyers of texture or descending coordinates in some direction ? As Pov 3.x you
mean also 3.5 ? Have you know function possibilities ? Have you know warp{} ?

> 2 - There's something strange in the way that light
>     intensity is calculated.

I'm sure Kari Kivisalo or somebody similiar will answer you :-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

I'd like to say welcome! Your first suggestion with the tile texture should
be easy to do with a repeating warp. The second thing about light
attentuation is an advanced question, but you'll no doubt get a good
explanation, once the right people sees your message.. It won't take too
long, you just be patient too.. ;o)

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 02 May 2002 10:31:05 -0300, Valdemir Carrara <val### [at] deminpebr> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> >1 - I'd like to see the "tiles" keyword back to Pov
> >    textures, but with the sense of tiles and not the
> >    sense of checkboard. Tiles are a mixture of checboard
> >    with brick. It has a mortar, and resembles a checboard.
> >    Pov 3.x can't generate a texture where a brick is
> >    exatly bellow other. Instead, one brick extends two
> >    halves of the bricks above and bellow. I think that
> >    one tile should be placed exatly bellow other in
> >    the tile texture.
>
> I really don't understand this wish. What you mean as "below" ? under in
> leyers of texture or descending coordinates in some direction ? As Pov 3.x you
> mean also 3.5 ? Have you know function possibilities ? Have you know warp{} ?

I think Valdemir means a tile-like pattern, just as brick is a brick-like
pattern. Easy enough to do with a function in 3.5 - hmm, I wonder if quilted
would do.

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 02 May 2002 10:31:05 -0300, Valdemir Carrara <val### [at] deminpebr> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi
>
> > That's my first intro in the pov newsgroup, so I hope
> > you guys be patient.
>
> there is special group for people like you: povray.newusers
>
> > I have two questions, and I
> > didn't find the answer in the FAQ area (though is
> > almost impossible to find something in this huge
> > place).
>
> You mean povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or
> http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/
>
> >1 - I'd like to see the "tiles" keyword back to Pov
> >    textures, but with the sense of tiles and not the
> >    sense of checkboard. Tiles are a mixture of checboard
> >    with brick. It has a mortar, and resembles a checboard.
> >    Pov 3.x can't generate a texture where a brick is
> >    exatly bellow other. Instead, one brick extends two
> >    halves of the bricks above and bellow. I think that
> >    one tile should be placed exatly bellow other in
> >    the tile texture.
>
> I really don't understand this wish. What you mean as "below" ? under in
> leyers of texture or descending coordinates in some direction ? As Pov 3.x you
> mean also 3.5 ? Have you know function possibilities ? Have you know warp{} ?

I mean descending in coordinates. I knew warp but I didn't
know
exactly what I could do with it. I just made some tests, and
now I

texture
in such a way to make it a perfect tile. So living and
learning...

> > 2 - There's something strange in the way that light
> >     intensity is calculated.
>
> I'm sure Kari Kivisalo or somebody similiar will answer you :-)
>
> ABX

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)