POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lights and tiles : lights and tiles Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  lights and tiles
From: Valdemir Carrara
Date: 2 May 2002 09:29:32
Message: <3CD13F99.99F666E7@dem.inpe.br>
Hi,

That's my first intro in the pov newsgroup, so I hope
you guys be patient. I have two questions, and I
didn't find the answer in the FAQ area (though is
almost impossible to find something in this huge
place).

I'm a pov user (not a expert user, I have to addmit), and
I'd like to make two suggestions for program improvements.

1 - I'd like to see the "tiles" keyword back to Pov
  textures, but with the sense of tiles and not the
  sense of checkboard. Tiles are a mixture of checboard
  with brick. It has a mortar, and resembles a checboard.
  Pov 3.x can't generate a texture where a brick is
  exatly bellow other. Instead, one brick extends two
  halves of the bricks above and bellow. I think that
  one tile should be placed exatly bellow other in
  the tile texture.

2 - There's something strange in the way that light
  intensity is calculated. Real lights have intensity
  decreasing proportionally to the inverse of the
  squared distance:

   I  = K / d^2

  Pov calculates the "attenuation" by means of a similar
  equation, but with a significative difference:

  Attenuation = 2 / [1 + {d / fade_dist)^power]

  As you can see, if one consider fade_dist = 1 and power
  equal to 2, it is impossible to obtain the real light
  intensity:

  Attenuation = 2 / [1 + d^2],

  due to the presence of the "1" in the denominator. I
  suggest that this could be modified in the following
  way:

  Attenuation = 2 / [ K + {d / fade_dist)^power]

  Of course it would be user responsability to avoid
"division
  by zero" that could happen if the light is positioned
  in an object surface (d = 0) and if K = 0.

Valdemir Carrara

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)