POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real Time Ray Tracing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  Real Time Ray Tracing (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Real Time Ray Tracing
Date: 8 Mar 2002 16:40:09
Message: <3C892FB8.77CD4BBE@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> [...]
>
> Oh, and before people start wondering why the POV-Team spends time on this, it
> should be noted that this allows for example to uncover bugs or inefficiencies
> in the source code and in addition only "playing" with some parts of the code
> allow us to understand again what those who programmed it a decade ago were up
> to.  In short, playing with it today allows improvements for all users in the
> future :-)

Will this be part of the source release so everyone can study it?  I
remember reading somewhere that the easter egg is supposed to be only in
the official version.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

From: Tom A
Date: 8 Mar 2002 16:41:06
Message: <3C892FF2.51E81670@my-deja.com>
Warp wrote:

>   Just get a fast-enough computer, make a simple scene and render it
> in an animation.
>   For example this scene:
>
> camera { location -z*15 look_at 0 angle 35 }
> light_source { <100,250,-50>, 1 }
> union
> { sphere { -x, 1 }
>   sphere { x, 1 }
>   sphere { y, 1 }
>   box { <-2,0,-1.5><2,-1,1.5> }
>   pigment { rgb <1,.5> }
>   finish { specular .5 reflection .5 }
>   rotate <clock*360, 2*clock*360, .75*clock*360>
> }
>
> renders in my computer (1.2GHz Athlon) at 320x240 with +kff500 -ga -f
> at about 5 FPS.

Bummer, my work system (which is about 2.5 times as fast as my home
system) did one frame per three seconds.

(I just realized the other day that Exile: Myst 3 requires a pentium II
or better - so, I'll probably need a $400 upgrade to run a $30 game.)
--
Tom A.
"No doubt many that post deserve to be flamed.  And many that are flamed

Post a reply to this message