POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular reflection color Server Time
6 Aug 2024 18:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Specular reflection color (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Michael Smith
Subject: Specular reflection color
Date: 25 Feb 2002 17:39:07
Message: <3c7abd0b$1@news.povray.org>
This is my first post and I'm fairly new to POV-Ray. Hello.

I'm modeling the Earth and I want the water specular reflection
color to *not* be the blue of the imagemap's water area, but
greyish instead, as it is in reality. The sun reflects mostly off the
surface, and since water is colorless the reflection itself should
be primarily the color of the incoming light. Plus violet, blue,
and green wavelengths are being selectively scattered out by
the atmosphere so it is actually slightly golden:

http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/lores.cgi?PHOTO=STS036-075-024

The way I've been doing it so far is to do two separate renders
and combine them in post-processing. One render is three
nested spheres: Earth, clouds, and atmosphere; and the other I
render just the Earth sphere and cloud sphere using two all
black imagemaps - one with a land mask in the alpha channel
(the Earth sphere) and the other with a cloud mask in the alpha
channel (the cloud sphere). I get rid of the atmosphere sphere
then change the sunlight color to a pale gold. The render will be
all black with just the specular reflection showing, minus the
land and areas shaded by clouds.

I combine the two using Paint Shop Pro's 'screen' blend.

I'd much prefer to do this all in POV-Ray because I'd like to
animate it and don't want to have to post-process each frame.

I need to know if there is a way to change the specular
reflection color by whatever means POV-Ray has at its
disposal.

Regards,

Mike

Post a reply to this message