POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular reflection color : Re: Specular reflection color Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:56:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular reflection color
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 26 Feb 2002 18:56:40
Message: <chrishuff-DBF1C5.18563426022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7bf4b4$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Michael Smith" <s64### [at] worldnetattnet> wrote:

> >Have you tried using reflection instead? Or just very tight specular
> >highlights?
>
> Unless I'm missing something (remember I'm not an experienced
> user) I have been using specular highlights. Maybe not "very tight"
> though because I need to reproduce a specific appearance. I'll go
> back again and try using just reflection, but I'm almost 100% that
> I've tried it before and the results weren't what I wanted.

Well, if you're using the "specular" keyword, those are specular
highlights. ;-)

If you are trying to get a more spread-out highlight but reduce the
blending, you might try reflection (which won't fade at all by default),
possibly in combination with very tight specular, and give the texture a
fine normal. The normal will break up the reflection of the sun, and
actually simulate the effects of real highlights, but it will be more
on/off...there will be areas that are highlighted and areas that are
blue, with no blending between them.

If it doesn't have to be Earth, you could use a procedural texture and
planet, and simulate the actual depth of the oceans, but it sounds like
you want Earth.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/