POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular reflection color : Re: Specular reflection color Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:56:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular reflection color
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Feb 2002 23:22:45
Message: <chrishuff-588CC8.23223725022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7af94b@news.povray.org>,
 "Michael Smith" <s64### [at] worldnetattnet> wrote:

> Take that photo I linked to - if POV-Ray ran the universe the water
> reflection would be various lighter shades of the *apparent* color
> of the water (blue) rather than the actual color (none) of the water.

No...you're artificially coloring the surface of the water. POV can't
read your mind...

> What I need to do is find a way to make POV-Ray mimic water
> reflections.

Have you tried using reflection instead? Or just very tight specular
highlights?

> I think any reflection type I use will take on the color of the
> imagemap. I wasjust wondering if there was any way to change
> this.

Reflection will only take the color of the pigment if you use
"reflect_metallic" (MegaPOV) or put "metallic" in the reflection {}
block (POV 3.5).

Water isn't usually done by making a blue, shiny texture...though if you
are doing the planet earth I guess you don't have a lot of choice. But
the highlights and reflections shouldn't be causing you problems...by
default, they do not take the color of the surface.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/