POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  anti-aliasing (Message 51 to 60 of 91)
From: Timothy R  Cook
Subject: Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
Date: 13 Feb 2002 21:13:15
Message: <3C6B1D35.98171F27@scifi-fantasy.com>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> And now you have to project it, with perspective, onto a plane,

Oops, forgot perspective.  NEVERMIND!

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Timothy R  Cook
Date: 13 Feb 2002 21:13:51
Message: <3C6B1D58.B70B5E6E@scifi-fantasy.com>
Ron Parker wrote:
> Ahh, but you need to think even further outside the box: what does a
> negative transmit do?

A black hole? ;)

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 14 Feb 2002 01:05:30
Message: <3c6b53aa@news.povray.org>
> Ben Chambers <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> :>   Does it work for reflections/refractions as well?-)
>
> : Does the current method?  I was under the impression that supersampling
was
> : done only on the rays shot from the view plane, and not on reflection /
> : refracted rays.
>
>   Of course it works for reflections/refractions. If the pixel color
> difference threshold is reached, then another ray is shot from the camera.
> This ray will (probably) also reflect/refract from the same object, thus
> sampling whatever is reflected/refracted.

But you're still talking about rays from the camera.  I thought you meant
that reflected / refracted rays themselves were supersampled :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 14 Feb 2002 01:07:51
Message: <3c6b5437@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3c6ad4df@news.povray.org>,
>  "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> > Such a setting belongs in the INI file, not in the scene.
>
> The .ini file is no place for an object-specific attribute.

But it ~is~ the place to place instructions for how to sample a scene.

> Hairs, any kind of cabling, ropes or strings, screens or gratings, chain
> link fences, stars, cracks (like in floors or walls), wood, small
> text...I could come up with more.

You're right, of course, I just wasn't being creative at the time I wrote it
:)

> You can usually get good results with
> with the existing adaptive method, but not always.

True, as with everything.  Another method would be good, not because the
current method is impossible to use, but just to have another tool in your
belt :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message