POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV (Message 1 to 10 of 52)
From: Erle Greer
Subject: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV
Date: 12 Aug 1999 12:20:12
Message: <37b2f43c@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know if the POV development team has considered adding parallel
/ distributed network rendering?  I have heard about couple of solutions,
but I'd prefer a feature already built-in, and not something that I have to
compile or figure out how to set up.

The Utopia that I imaging is that we could run POV on all clients and click
"Parallel Client, Connect, ServerName / IP address".  Having those options
specifiable on the command-line would be handy too.  Then, whatever scene is
rendered on ServerName is batched or distributed out to the clients.

POV is a great program, and I'd image that they already have their hands
full with bugs and/or feature requests.  Just thought I'd toss this out
there.

Thank You

Post a reply to this message

Ooo... that would be altogether too cool...

Erle Greer <greere_Spam_Me_Not_@evangel.edu> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if the POV development team has considered adding
parallel
> / distributed network rendering?  I have heard about couple of solutions,
> but I'd prefer a feature already built-in, and not something that I have
> compile or figure out how to set up.
>
> The Utopia that I imaging is that we could run POV on all clients and
click
> "Parallel Client, Connect, ServerName / IP address".  Having those options
> specifiable on the command-line would be handy too.  Then, whatever scene
is
> rendered on ServerName is batched or distributed out to the clients.
>
> POV is a great program, and I'd image that they already have their hands
> full with bugs and/or feature requests.  Just thought I'd toss this out
> there.
>
> Thank You

Post a reply to this message

No. But a friend of mine is working on exactly the idea you suggest.
I'll ask him how far he's got. If you want to contact him directly I'm
sure he won't mind me giving you his email address:
Ada### [at] INamecom
I haven't spoken with him for a week or two but he seemed to be making
rapid progress at the last check.

	Graham Redway.

Erle Greer wrote:

> Does anyone know if the POV development team has considered adding parallel
> / distributed network rendering?  I have heard about couple of solutions,
> but I'd prefer a feature already built-in, and not something that I have to
> compile or figure out how to set up.
>
> The Utopia that I imaging is that we could run POV on all clients and click
> "Parallel Client, Connect, ServerName / IP address".  Having those options
> specifiable on the command-line would be handy too.  Then, whatever scene is
> rendered on ServerName is batched or distributed out to the clients.
>
> POV is a great program, and I'd image that they already have their hands
> full with bugs and/or feature requests.  Just thought I'd toss this out
> there.
>
> Thank You

Post a reply to this message

> No. But a friend of mine is working on exactly the idea you suggest.
> I'll ask him how far he's got. If you want to contact him directly I'm
> sure he won't mind me giving you his email address:
> Ada### [at] INamecom
> I haven't spoken with him for a week or two but he seemed to be making
> rapid progress at the last check.
>
>         Graham Redway.

Take a look at NetRay

http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: