POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV : Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV
From: Erle Greer
Date: 12 Aug 1999 21:34:21
Message: <01bee52c$4a404400$0100a8c0@Satellite>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in article
<37B349FA.A46CEDE4@pacbell.net>...
> Take a look at NetRay
>
> http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/
>
> Ken Tyler

I went to Mikael's page at http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/ and his
distributed POV system looks interesting, and promising.  I especially like
the fact that the server and clients are referred to, and communicate via,
IP addresses, allowing scallability across the Internet.  It would be
really nice to be able to sit at home send render jobs to our university
lab computers. (yes, I work there and would have permission).

Mikael does not provide a download link, so I've requested via email to
help test his system on my network.

I still think that John Cruz's Java approach, R-Cast, at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/rfarm/  holds much
promise, offering cross-platform support.

Still, the horse to win is built-in network rendering in POV itself.

I read somewhere that a problem with distributing a single frame is when
attempting to anti-alias, because a client would have no knowledge of
previous lines that another client had or will be rendering.