POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it real...? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Is it real...? (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Ruy
Subject: Re: Is it real...?
Date: 13 Oct 2001 14:37:42
Message: <3bc889f6@news.povray.org>
Although I have been poving this (in an off-and-off-and-off-and-on
manner...) since v2.2, I am obviously not skilled enough to get
photo-quality scenes rendered. Not that I would like to. Getting the perfect
kitchen rendered is not one if my goals, but having a perfectly believable
non-exixting object sitting on top of a table or, better yet, a tiled floor
is what I want. So I guess I do shoot for realism. One day I'll get it, I'm
sure.

Ruy

"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> escreveu na mensagem

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try
> model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of
trees
> in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will
you
> put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
> do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too
far
> back for all the normals to be seen?
>
>     Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
> means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
> walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the
other
> side.
>
>     Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that
people
> should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
> who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good
scenes
> more often than others.

Post a reply to this message

> Although I have been poving this (in an off-and-off-and-off-and-on
> manner...) since v2.2, I am obviously not skilled enough to get
> photo-quality scenes rendered. Not that I would like to. Getting the perfect
> kitchen rendered is not one if my goals, but having a perfectly believable
> non-exixting object sitting on top of a table or, better yet, a tiled floor
> is what I want. So I guess I do shoot for realism. One day I'll get it, I'm
> sure.

Don't worry.  I never managed to get anything matching those great POV
artists either.  And I have been using POV for years, just never the scene
description langauge... ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg