POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 (Message 11 to 20 of 46)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000
Date: 13 Aug 2001 07:52:13
Message: <3b77bf6d@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the report.

As Thorsten pointed out, we are aware of this situation. I in fact even
have a copy of the very CD here in my bookshelf, having swapped it for a
copy of the IRTC CDROM with a chap who reported it to me earlier this year.

We have been unable to find Wingear. I have a strong suspicion that they
don't want to be found ...

Insofar as the selling price is concerned, based on the fact that I have
seen the CD on sale for as little as US$5.50 with some online vendors, I
came to the conclusion that the wholesale price (i.e. what Wingear gets)
is probably just barely within POVLEGAL's cents/megabyte limit (and could
be the reason that they dumped the textures on the CD as well; to make it
a bit bigger).

This means that under the existing povlegal, we can't go after Wingear
themselves; we'd have to chase the individual vendors (and it's even
doubtful if we could do that - I'd have to check the language and see if
it applies to a reseller).

Apart from Moray, I also notice that they have an unattributed partial copy
of Ken's Links List (as taken from www.povray.org/links) on the CD, edited
to remove the povray banner and any reference to our website.

Needless to say, we have made a significant change to POVLEGAL to outlaw
what they have done, and to explicitly include resellers in the rules.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Apart from Moray, I also notice that they have an unattributed partial
copy
> of Ken's Links List (as taken from www.povray.org/links) on the CD, edited
> to remove the povray banner and any reference to our website.

That is a copyright infringement (Ken's copyright), at the very least,
regardless of POV-Ray's specific license issues.

Aren't there any images or sources ?

You could maybe publish a directory listing of the whole content, for
us to check.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message