POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 : Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 13 Aug 2001 12:04:58
Message: <3B77FAAC.19B33B44@sycomore.fr>
stefkeB wrote:

> What is the main difference between this and other "shareware" CD's which
> have POV-Ray on it?

This one pretends the product is commercial, and of professionnal
quality (read Warp's message in above thread "History of POV-Ray"
for why POV-Ray is not professional, and not ashamed of that).

Also, the pricing is outrageous, and it is sold by a company that
uses dubious selling methods (as someone noted in this thread,
all items are "almost sold out").

They don't say that POV-Ray is free, and they charge way more than
the limit authorized in the license (the can't be wronged on that,
because they're a reseller). Basically, they've done all they could
to get the maximum amount of money without infringing on the license
(which will be updated accordingly in POV 3.5).

> I have some old versions on this kind of CD's and also with magazines &
> books.

Me too. But they all state clearly that POV is free and the amount
paid only covers CD manufacturing & handling costs. And their low pricing
clearly marks them as "not professional".

> If you make a shareware compilation and distribute this on a CD'R, you can
> technically make up a price for it, although you probably should ask the
> developer considering copyrights...

POV-Ray is much more advanced than that. Read the license
that accompanies the software, it covers what you mention.
To summarize, there's a limit on the price you can charge,
per megabyte of data on the CD.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs