POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real-time raytracing... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Real-time raytracing... (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Real-time raytracing...
Date: 1 Apr 2001 10:58:43
Message: <3ac74223@news.povray.org>
I was just looking at some of the real-time raytracing demos at
http://www.acm.org/tog/resources/RTNews/demos/overview.htm and I was
wondering: why can't POV-Ray be that fast?

cu!
ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Real-time raytracing...
Date: 1 Apr 2001 11:17:09
Message: <3AC74676.82F845AD@gmx.de>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:

> I was just looking at some of the real-time raytracing demos at
> http://www.acm.org/tog/resources/RTNews/demos/overview.htm and I was
> wondering: why can't POV-Ray be that fast?

If you restrict a raytracer to a very basic functionality (like only
certain highly optimized shapes) you can gain a major speedup.

Furthermore these programs use direct access to the graphics hardware and
probably integer arithmetic for their calculations.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>