POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Re: Real fire doesn't absorb, does it?
Date: 17 Dec 2000 00:00:20
Message: <3a3c4864@news.povray.org>
David Fontaine wrote:
> Heat also refracts light, like the puddle-on-the-road mirage. So light
would
> bend away from the center of the flame, no?

Well, it's not really the heat that does it, just the density change caused
by the heat, but yes you're right, it will.  Because the air in the flame is
hotter, it will be less dense, so a ray of light going in to it should bend
away from the normal (if you were to draw the normal right through that is).

--
Lance.

http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message

> > Heat also refracts light, like the puddle-on-the-road mirage. So light
> would
> > bend away from the center of the flame, no?
>
> Well, it's not really the heat that does it, just the density change caused
> by the heat, but yes you're right, it will.  Because the air in the flame is
> hotter, it will be less dense, so a ray of light going in to it should bend
> away from the normal (if you were to draw the normal right through that is).

Which will also vary depending on where you intersect the flame since
there are varying temperatures within the flame itself.

> > > Heat also refracts light, like the puddle-on-the-road mirage. So light
> > would
> > > bend away from the center of the flame, no?
> >
> > Well, it's not really the heat that does it, just the density change
caused
> > by the heat, but yes you're right, it will.  Because the air in the
flame is
> > hotter, it will be less dense, so a ray of light going in to it should
bend
> > away from the normal (if you were to draw the normal right through that
is).

> Which will also vary depending on where you intersect the flame since
> there are varying temperatures within the flame itself.

That's right, which is why it's such a difficult thing to accurately model.
The other thing that makes it hard is that because it isn't a solid object,
the changes in density aren't as black and white (which means neither is the
normal)... I have no idea how someone would go about doing it perfectly.

--
Lance.

http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message