POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What makes POV POV? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  What makes POV POV? (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: What makes POV POV?
Date: 15 Nov 2000 07:47:09
Message: <chrishuff-9FA4C5.07472315112000@news.povray.org>
The renderer, or the scene language?
Is the language the only thing that is important, or is the renderer
important too?
1: The language is the only thing that matters.
2: The language is most important, but rendering engine is important too.
3: Both are equally important, POV is the combination of the two.
4: Renderer is most important, but the language is important too.
5: Renderer the only thing that matters.

My choice is 3, neither the spirit of the language or the renderer could
be removed or drastically changed and still have POV...for example, if
the renderer was changed to a scan-line engine or if the language became
like Lisp, or if either of them became platform dependant or the source
code wasn't released...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> The renderer, or the scene language?
> Is the language the only thing that is important, or is the renderer
> important too?
> 1: The language is the only thing that matters.
> 2: The language is most important, but rendering engine is important too.
> 3: Both are equally important, POV is the combination of the two.
> 4: Renderer is most important, but the language is important too.
> 5: Renderer the only thing that matters.

IMHO 1, in reality 3, in abstract, 5. (IMHO)

> My choice is 3, neither the spirit of the language or the renderer could
> be removed or drastically changed and still have POV...for example, if
> the renderer was changed to a scan-line engine or if the language became
> like Lisp, or if either of them became platform dependant or the source
> code wasn't released...
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff
> Personal: chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/