POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blob problem? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Blob problem? (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Rob Hoopman
Subject: Blob problem?
Date: 25 Aug 2002 13:46:25
Message: <3D693445.3020704@tuna.nl>
I have a very minimal scene with a blob that does not behave like I
expect it.
Basically it is the first tutorial scene from 3.6.1 with two extra
spheres added above the originals. It seems to render some artifacts
where the top spheres connect to the bottom ones.

I am new to POV-Ray and don't know the right way to do this. But I
expect just dropping the scene files into p.b.scene-files would not be
the way to go so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for your time,
Rob

Post a reply to this message

"Rob Hoopman" <rob### [at] tunanl> wrote in message
news:3D6### [at] tunanl...
> I am new to POV-Ray and don't know the right way to do this. But I
> expect just dropping the scene files into p.b.scene-files would not be
> the way to go so I thought I'd ask here.

Have a read of Rune's blob tutorial:
http://runevision.com/3d/blobs/blobs.asp

Post a reply to this message

"Rob Hoopman" <rob### [at] tunanl> wrote in message
news:3D6### [at] tunanl...
> I have a very minimal scene with a blob that does not behave like I
> expect it.
> Basically it is the first tutorial scene from 3.6.1 with two extra
> spheres added above the originals. It seems to render some artifacts
> where the top spheres connect to the bottom ones.
>
> I am new to POV-Ray and don't know the right way to do this. But I
> expect just dropping the scene files into p.b.scene-files would not be
> the way to go so I thought I'd ask here.

A short, concise, sample of a problem scene file is fine posted as text here
in p.g.

Have you already tried sturm in the blob statement? If not then that's
something to check on. It could be a shadows on the surface normals thing,
the blob equation causing erratic changes in it. If that doesn't seem to be
it a posting of a render showing it would be good to see, at p.b.i. or at
least the blob + camera + light script so someone else besides you can
render it.

Post a reply to this message

> "Rob Hoopman" <rob### [at] tunanl> wrote in message
> news:3D6### [at] tunanl...
>
>>I am new to POV-Ray and don't know the right way to do this. But I
>>expect just dropping the scene files into p.b.scene-files would not be
>>the way to go so I thought I'd ask here.
>

> Have a read of Rune's blob tutorial:
> http://runevision.com/3d/blobs/blobs.asp

I did, allthough his site down at the moment, well not so much down as
having problems connecting to the database.

Rob

Post a reply to this message

Blobs have artifacts, sometimes. This is still a problem with POV, but you
could try to move each blob component away from the others. They must not be
very close to each other.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

> "Rob Hoopman" <rob### [at] tunanl> wrote in message
> news:3D6### [at] tunanl...
>
>>I have a very minimal scene with a blob that does not behave like I
>>expect it.
>>Basically it is the first tutorial scene from 3.6.1 with two extra
>>spheres added above the originals. It seems to render some artifacts
>>where the top spheres connect to the bottom ones.
>>
>>I am new to POV-Ray and don't know the right way to do this. But I
>>expect just dropping the scene files into p.b.scene-files would not be
>>the way to go so I thought I'd ask here.
>

> A short, concise, sample of a problem scene file is fine posted as text here
> in p.g.
>
> Have you already tried sturm in the blob statement? If not then that's
> something to check on. It could be a shadows on the surface normals thing,
> the blob equation causing erratic changes in it. If that doesn't seem to be
> it a posting of a render showing it would be good to see, at p.b.i. or at
> least the blob + camera + light script so someone else besides you can
> render it.

I had a look at the docs regarding the sturm keyword and don't think it
would solve my problem. (Allthough I must say it is not exactly clear to
what values I would have to set it. What is a "boolean float value",
does this mean any float value that is not zero evaluates to true?)

If it helps I can also post an image to p.b.i.

Rob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)