POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : another math graphics gallery Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  another math graphics gallery (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Adam Coffman
Subject: another math graphics gallery
Date: 22 Jun 2001 17:43:58
Message: <3B33BC21.9CA95F9F@ipfw.edu>
I recently got around to organizing some POV graphics into a new
math-themed "gallery."

It presents miscellaneous pictures and animations I've needed to
throw together during various projects.

enjoy,

http://www.ipfw.edu/math/Coffman/pov/gallery.html

Adam C.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: another math graphics gallery
Date: 22 Jun 2001 18:06:30
Message: <slrn9j7gb8.54i.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:44:01 -0500, Adam Coffman wrote:
>http://www.ipfw.edu/math/Coffman/pov/gallery.html

Careful what you do with that chesspiece.  This is from povlegal:

The user is also granted the right to use the scene files,
fonts, bitmaps, and include files distributed in the
INCLUDE and SCENES\INCDEMO sub-directories in their own
scenes. Such permission does not extend to files in the
SCENES directory or its sub-directories. The SCENES files
are for your enjoyment and education but may not be the
basis of any derivative works.

--
#local R=<7084844682857967,0787982,826975826580>;#macro L(P)concat(#while(P)chr(
mod(P,100)),#local P=P/100;#end"")#end background{rgb 1}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.y)0,0

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:44:01 -0500, Adam Coffman wrote:
> >http://www.ipfw.edu/math/Coffman/pov/gallery.html
>
> Careful what you do with that chesspiece.  This is from povlegal:
>
> The user is also granted the right to use the scene files,
> fonts, bitmaps, and include files distributed in the
> INCLUDE and SCENES\INCDEMO sub-directories in their own
> scenes. Such permission does not extend to files in the
> SCENES directory or its sub-directories. The SCENES files
> are for your enjoyment and education but may not be the
> basis of any derivative works.

This whole derivative works thing is ugly. If I copy an object statement
out of one of the scene files such as -

box { <-1-1-1>,<1,1,1> pigment { color rgb <1,1,1> } }

and use it in one of my scenes then technically I am creating
a derivitive work. Where do you draw the line ?

What about all the people who use the standard include files in their
scenes ? Are those not then derivitive works ? Again where do you draw
the line ?

If I "create" the above example myself, and then copyright the
scene file, is everyone who ever uses the exact same syntax in
violation of copyright law ?

I just now decided I am not going to worry about it. If someone ever
accuses me of plagarism the proof is theirs to provide and they will
have to bear the costs of prosecution.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message