POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : another math graphics gallery : Re: another math graphics gallery Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: another math graphics gallery
From: Ken
Date: 23 Jun 2001 18:13:17
Message: <3B351432.604BEB14@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:44:01 -0500, Adam Coffman wrote:
> >http://www.ipfw.edu/math/Coffman/pov/gallery.html
>
> Careful what you do with that chesspiece.  This is from povlegal:
>
> The user is also granted the right to use the scene files,
> fonts, bitmaps, and include files distributed in the
> INCLUDE and SCENES\INCDEMO sub-directories in their own
> scenes. Such permission does not extend to files in the
> SCENES directory or its sub-directories. The SCENES files
> are for your enjoyment and education but may not be the
> basis of any derivative works.

This whole derivative works thing is ugly. If I copy an object statement
out of one of the scene files such as -

box { <-1-1-1>,<1,1,1> pigment { color rgb <1,1,1> } }

and use it in one of my scenes then technically I am creating
a derivitive work. Where do you draw the line ?

What about all the people who use the standard include files in their
scenes ? Are those not then derivitive works ? Again where do you draw
the line ?

If I "create" the above example myself, and then copyright the
scene file, is everyone who ever uses the exact same syntax in
violation of copyright law ?

I just now decided I am not going to worry about it. If someone ever
accuses me of plagarism the proof is theirs to provide and they will
have to bear the costs of prosecution.

--
Ken Tyler