POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Rune
Subject: Real fire doesn't absorb, does it?
Date: 15 Dec 2000 11:37:06
Message: <3a3a48b2@news.povray.org>
To create fire that looks realistic in POV-Ray the usual approach is to use
both emitting and absorbing media. Absorbing media is used to make the fire
visible on bright backgrounds.

But I think in reality fire doesn't absorb light (almost not anyway). The
reason it is still visible is that it is many times brighter than the
surrounding objects.

I think if POV-Ray showed light intensities based on for example an
logarithmic function rather than linearly it would be possible to make more
realistic scenes, and it would be easier too. I think it would affect more
things than you would think; perhaps completely change the way we think of
colors in POV-Ray.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated October 9)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org