POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? : Re: Real fire doesn't absorb, does it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real fire doesn't absorb, does it?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Dec 2000 18:38:55
Message: <chrishuff-690D8A.18395515122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A3A978C.C48AA29C@faricy.net>, David Fontaine
<dav### [at] faricynet> wrote:

> Doesn't it also bend light away from the center of the flame? IIRC

The different densities will cause the ior to be different, refracting
light...maybe not always away from the center. However, this is variable
ior, a pretty difficult and processor-intensive effect.
Also, I don't know how much of an effect it would have...it could easily
be barely noticeable. You can often see shadows from the "turbulence" of
a flame, but they aren't very distinct.
Back to the laser-beam experiment(I wish I had my laser pointer!), to be
thorough, you would need to use lasers of several different wavelengths
to get the actual color of scattering...actually, it might be better to
use a focused, high intensity white light instead of a monochromatic
laser...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><