POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rotation question Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:28:52 EDT (-0400)
  rotation question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: sacrofts
Subject: rotation question
Date: 21 Sep 2000 16:35:48
Message: <39ca7124@news.povray.org>
Can anyone help?
If I have a sphere, and touching at any one point on that sphere I have
another object, is there any way I could control the rotation of that
object relative to the axis of the sphere's normal at that point?
For the image I'm working on, I have the radius of the sphere, the angle
of the object from the 'north-pole' of the sphere, and the angle around
the sphere measured from the positive x-axis.

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone help? If I have a sphere, and touching at any one point on that
> sphere I have another >object, is there any way I could control the rotation
> of that object relative >to the axis of the sphere's normal at that point? For
> the image I'm working on, I have the radius of the sphere, the angle of the
> object from the 'north-pole' of the sphere, and the angle around the sphere
> measured from the positive x-axis.

What you are looking for is the vaxis_rotate function.  You find it
explained in the documentation under:  Scene Description Language > Language
Basics > Vector Expressions > Vector Functions

The parameters in your case would be as follows (I think):

    vaxis_rotate(point, normal, degrees)

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > Can anyone help? If I have a sphere, and touching at any one point
on that
> > sphere I have another >object, is there any way I could control the
rotation
> > of that object relative >to the axis of the sphere's normal at that
point? For
> > the image I'm working on, I have the radius of the sphere, the angle
of the
> > object from the 'north-pole' of the sphere, and the angle around the
sphere
> > measured from the positive x-axis.
>
> What you are looking for is the vaxis_rotate function.  You find it
> explained in the documentation under:  Scene Description Language >
Language
> Basics > Vector Expressions > Vector Functions
>
> The parameters in your case would be as follows (I think):
>
>     vaxis_rotate(point, normal, degrees)
>

>      Thorsten

Post a reply to this message