POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rotation question : Re: rotation question Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:07:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rotation question
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 27 Sep 2000 21:22:30
Message: <39D29D62.7F31C366@ij.net>
sacrofts wrote:

> Can anyone help?
> If I have a sphere, and touching at any one point on that sphere I have another
object, is there any way I could control the rotation of that object relative to the
axis of the sphere's normal at that point?
> For the image I'm working on, I have the radius of the sphere, the angle of the
object from the 'north-pole' of the sphere, and the angle around the sphere measured
from the positive x-axis.

	In line with KISS, presuming your main sphere is a 0,0,0 then put your
attached object there also and do its rotation there. Then rotate to the
desired orientation, then translate it to the attachment point. If the
main sphere is rotating, translate to the rotated position. (One of
those steps is likely out of order, it always is on my first cut.)