POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : An observation of concern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  An observation of concern (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: An observation of concern
Date: 13 Oct 2000 10:42:01
Message: <39E71F31.34D2551F@erols.com>
While woorking on my latest Rusty animation, I've been noticing that the
peak memory usage figure seems to go up with each frame.  For instance,
in one shot, the first frame uses 12 megs or so of RAM.  The next frame
shows about 13.5 megs of RAM, and this peak figure continues to grow as
long as the sequence is rendering, even though the number of objects
remains the same.  If I stop rendering, the amount goes back to 12 megs,
and the memory appears to get released.  On one sequence the peak
memory figure was over 80 megs when the rendering was down.  I am pretty
sure that only the original 12 megs is needed for the actual render, and
with a 96 meg machine I'm not experiencing a virtual memory thrash.

It seems to me that POV-Ray (I'm using the Win95 version) for some
reason doesn't release everything between frames, but does release
everything when all frames are done.

Can anyone else confirm this observation, and if so, has it caused any
genuine problems?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> While woorking on my latest Rusty animation, I've been noticing that the
> peak memory usage figure seems to go up with each frame.  For instance,
> in one shot, the first frame uses 12 megs or so of RAM.  The next frame
> shows about 13.5 megs of RAM, and this peak figure continues to grow as
> long as the sequence is rendering, even though the number of objects
> remains the same.  If I stop rendering, the amount goes back to 12 megs,
> and the memory appears to get released.  On one sequence the peak
> memory figure was over 80 megs when the rendering was down.  I am pretty
> sure that only the original 12 megs is needed for the actual render, and
> with a 96 meg machine I'm not experiencing a virtual memory thrash.
>
> It seems to me that POV-Ray (I'm using the Win95 version) for some
> reason doesn't release everything between frames, but does release
> everything when all frames are done.
>
> Can anyone else confirm this observation, and if so, has it caused any
> genuine problems?
>
> Regards,
> John

I have noticed (and reported that behaviour) before (quite a long time ago).
I haven't had any real problems with it on my Win95 system, but with a Win98
system it often happened that after completing the render the system would
freeze. It's probably something with system resources and Win95's sloppiness
with this appears to be a slight advantage ;)

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

My possible submission to this round of the IRTC has  208 walking blobmen
(not much else, so I'm almost embarassed to submit it). Anyway, around the
130th frame, it crashed for lack of memory.  So I just started it right up
again at that frame and it was cool.

I have also frequently observed that the render time per frame always creeps
up during an animation.

John VanSickle wrote:

> While woorking on my latest Rusty animation, I've been noticing that the
> peak memory usage figure seems to go up with each frame.  For instance,
> in one shot, the first frame uses 12 megs or so of RAM.  The next frame
> shows about 13.5 megs of RAM, and this peak figure continues to grow as
> long as the sequence is rendering, even though the number of objects
> remains the same.  If I stop rendering, the amount goes back to 12 megs,
> and the memory appears to get released.  On one sequence the peak
> memory figure was over 80 megs when the rendering was down.  I am pretty
> sure that only the original 12 megs is needed for the actual render, and
> with a 96 meg machine I'm not experiencing a virtual memory thrash.
>
> It seems to me that POV-Ray (I'm using the Win95 version) for some
> reason doesn't release everything between frames, but does release
> everything when all frames are done.
>
> Can anyone else confirm this observation, and if so, has it caused any
> genuine problems?
>
> Regards,
> John

Post a reply to this message