POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : An observation of concern : An observation of concern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  An observation of concern
From: John VanSickle
Date: 13 Oct 2000 10:42:01
Message: <39E71F31.34D2551F@erols.com>
While woorking on my latest Rusty animation, I've been noticing that the
peak memory usage figure seems to go up with each frame.  For instance,
in one shot, the first frame uses 12 megs or so of RAM.  The next frame
shows about 13.5 megs of RAM, and this peak figure continues to grow as
long as the sequence is rendering, even though the number of objects
remains the same.  If I stop rendering, the amount goes back to 12 megs,
and the memory appears to get released.  On one sequence the peak
memory figure was over 80 megs when the rendering was down.  I am pretty
sure that only the original 12 megs is needed for the actual render, and
with a 96 meg machine I'm not experiencing a virtual memory thrash.

It seems to me that POV-Ray (I'm using the Win95 version) for some
reason doesn't release everything between frames, but does release
everything when all frames are done.

Can anyone else confirm this observation, and if so, has it caused any
genuine problems?

Regards,
John