POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : An observation of concern : Re: An observation of concern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation of concern
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 13 Oct 2000 10:51:48
Message: <39E7208B.7E8FB2A9@xs4all.nl>
John VanSickle wrote:

> While woorking on my latest Rusty animation, I've been noticing that the
> peak memory usage figure seems to go up with each frame.  For instance,
> in one shot, the first frame uses 12 megs or so of RAM.  The next frame
> shows about 13.5 megs of RAM, and this peak figure continues to grow as
> long as the sequence is rendering, even though the number of objects
> remains the same.  If I stop rendering, the amount goes back to 12 megs,
> and the memory appears to get released.  On one sequence the peak
> memory figure was over 80 megs when the rendering was down.  I am pretty
> sure that only the original 12 megs is needed for the actual render, and
> with a 96 meg machine I'm not experiencing a virtual memory thrash.
>
> It seems to me that POV-Ray (I'm using the Win95 version) for some
> reason doesn't release everything between frames, but does release
> everything when all frames are done.
>
> Can anyone else confirm this observation, and if so, has it caused any
> genuine problems?
>
> Regards,
> John

I have noticed (and reported that behaviour) before (quite a long time ago).
I haven't had any real problems with it on my Win95 system, but with a Win98
system it often happened that after completing the render the system would
freeze. It's probably something with system resources and Win95's sloppiness
with this appears to be a slight advantage ;)

Regards,

Remco