POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I dont believe I did that! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:02 EDT (-0400)
  I dont believe I did that! (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: I dont believe I did that!
Date: 8 Aug 2000 15:42:55
Message: <399062bf@news.povray.org>
I have just stopped my IRTC entry render 2 days into a very long render{12 -
48 days!) without thinking I clicked on stop render instead of render
priority. Oh well. Try again and hope!

I've been following the 3dMax thread. Pov can do almost anything any other
program can and almost as well. Many programs do some things faster. Vue
d'esprit for instance produces excellent very fast landscapes and with it's
current import facilities it is posible to produce some very serious work.

But I still prefer Pov it is capable of the unexpected.... part of the joy
of creating. I don't get that with other programs.

The problem with Pov is media.
    1. Very slow when combined with complex CSG contructs. My IRTC entry for
example takes two hours to render without media. the media by itself takes
two hours, together though I'm looking at a very, very long render.
    2. I'm still unconvinced by the noise function correction - yes it's
mathmatically correct but it doesn't produce good clouds, I've tried. If you
have time try rerendering Mike Andrews clouds scene in Megapov 05a. As I've
said before what is needed is user control over the noise function - why not
should be easy to implement.

Radiosity is getting better all the time and I'm sure we'll learn to use it.

Pov is a great tool, fun, suprising, exciting and free...... who could ask
for more.

Me, more speed please.

Mick

Post a reply to this message