POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I dont believe I did that! : Re: I dont believe I did that! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:01:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I dont believe I did that!
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 8 Aug 2000 23:40:31
Message: <3990d2af$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote...
> Or you could just adjust the
> color_maps to simulate the "plateaus" at each end of the map.
> It will produce clouds which are just as good as the old noise, just not
> with the exact same code.

Very true.  In fact, you could use a pigment_pattern with a color_map to
reproduce the old noise (bozo) very easily.  It is just a linear correlation
between the old and the new, except that the old one would clip values, so
you couldn't reverse-transform the old one to the new one.

The following code should work, though it has not been tested at all:

#declare OldBozo = pigment
{
  bozo
  color_map
  {
    [(0-0.5+1.05242 )*0.48985582, 0]
    [(1-0.5+1.05242 )*0.48985582, 1]
  }
}

#declare MyPigmentUsingOldBozo = pigment
{
  pigment_pattern{OldBozo}  // instead of "bozo"
  color_map
  {
    ...your color map goes here...
  }
}

The mapping is (if I did the math correctly):

old_value = (new_value / 0.48985582) - 1.05242 + 0.5

-Nathan Kopp