POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I dont believe I did that! : Re: I dont believe I did that! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I dont believe I did that!
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Aug 2000 17:17:28
Message: <chrishuff-871FD5.16183108082000@news.povray.org>
In article <399062bf@news.povray.org>, "Mick Hazelgrove"
<mic### [at] mhazelgrovefsnetcouk> wrote:

> The problem with Pov is media.
>     1. Very slow when combined with complex CSG contructs. My IRTC entry
> for example takes two hours to render without media. the media by
> itself takes two hours, together though I'm looking at a very, very
> long render.

I can't think of a reason media would be much slower in complex CSG's,
and I haven't experienced this problem myself...

>     2. I'm still unconvinced by the noise function correction - yes it's
> mathmatically correct but it doesn't produce good clouds, I've tried.
> If you have time try rerendering Mike Andrews clouds scene in Megapov
> 05a. As I've said before what is needed is user control over the
> noise function - why not should be easy to implement.

The new noise function is easier to use(because it stays within the
expected range), and can already be used to simulate the old one. You
could even make a function which behaves like the old one, hard-coding
it into the program isn't necessary. Or you could just adjust the
color_maps to simulate the "plateaus" at each end of the map.
It will produce clouds which are just as good as the old noise, just not
with the exact same code.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/