POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightflow + povray Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Lightflow + povray (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Jurek
Subject: Lightflow + povray
Date: 3 Jul 2000 02:26:47
Message: <396031EE.FE31BB71@yahoo.com>
Does someone has more information about Lightflow beside the page
www.Lightflowtech.com ? Newsgroups ? Examples ? ...
It is also a free renderer and it seems to have some qualities povray
doesn't have whereas povray has other advantages. Did the povray-group
contact Pantaleoni for coorporation ?
I looked on the web for pages about lightflow and didn't find much. But
lightflow is worth to be better known.
Thanks
Jurek

Post a reply to this message

> Does someone has more information about Lightflow beside the page
> www.Lightflowtech.com ? Newsgroups ? Examples ? ...

Me personally, no.

> It is also a free renderer and it seems to have some qualities povray
> doesn't have whereas povray has other advantages. Did the povray-group
> contact Pantaleoni for coorporation ?

They have been in contact via the POV-Ray TAG but nothing came of
it. Communications seem to have dropped out before any started.

> I looked on the web for pages about lightflow and didn't find much. But
> lightflow is worth to be better known.

Perhaps, though I admit I have never tried it.

Hi Jurek, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> It is also a free renderer and it seems to have some qualities povray
> doesn't have whereas povray has other advantages.
Be sure to read the licensing for Lightflow, it may hold some
surprises. I find that the most limiting aspect is that you are not
free to do what you want with the images you render with it. They may
not be sold or otherwise used for profit.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Rick
Date: 3 Jul 2000 06:36:30
Message: <39606cae@news.povray.org>
> Be sure to read the licensing for Lightflow, it may hold some
> surprises. I find that the most limiting aspect is that you are not
> free to do what you want with the images you render with it. They may
> not be sold or otherwise used for profit.

well spotted lutz!, you know we all just ignore the licence agreements (or
never read them!)

Rick

Post a reply to this message

From: Jurek
Date: 3 Jul 2000 15:59:16
Message: <3960F05A.75B0392D@yahoo.com>
hm, I did not find the lizence of lightflow, but on the webpage something
was written with "This trial product is completely free for non commercial
uses". ok you are right and this a difference to povray. But beside this:
do you (a real expert) think, a cooperation would be good ?
Certainly this lizense-term is a problem: but if both sides are
interessted, why not talking and solving this problem.

Beside this, I also found the passage:
"Lightflow Technologies will directly take care of the development of the
plugins for
Alias|Wavefront's Maya and Autodesk's 3D Studio MAX (which are already
under
construction), but it is open to any external cooperation for the support
of different
softwares"

What does this mean ?

Thanks
Jurek

Post a reply to this message

From: Jurek
Date: 3 Jul 2000 16:01:41
Message: <3960F0ED.CA33BD35@yahoo.com>
> well spotted lutz!, you know we all just ignore the licence agreements (or
> never read them!)
>
> Rick

You are right: I read my first lizense agreement 20 minutes ago, but I'm using
copyrighted software for 15 years :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex McMurray
Date: 4 Jul 2000 05:14:14
Message: <3961A95A.50CFFC73@melbpc.org.au>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Be sure to read the licensing for Lightflow, it may hold some
> surprises. I find that the most limiting aspect is that you are not
> free to do what you want with the images you render with it. They may
> not be sold or otherwise used for profit.

That sounds ridiculous, it is like a paint manufacturer saying that you
cannot sell your painting because you used their paint.
POVray and Moray are tops anyway.

--
  ,-._|\  Alex McMurray
 /  Oz  \ ale### [at] melbpcorgau               Melbourne PC User Group.

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 4 Jul 2000 07:41:10
Message: <65j3ms0rrc8r2mooaif6ar6k098orud7pj@4ax.com>
Hi Alex McMurray, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> That sounds ridiculous, it is like a paint manufacturer saying that you
> cannot sell your painting because you used their paint.
Yup, I thought it was a rather strange limitation, even POV-Ray (which
is considered to have a restrictive license by the GPL crowd) allows
you to do what you want with the images you render. I was considering
supporting LightFlow in Moray, but with a license like that it doesn't
make sense...

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Debar
Date: 4 Jul 2000 08:08:36
Message: <3961d3c4@news.povray.org>
"Alex McMurray" <ale### [at] melbpcorgau> wrote in message
> That sounds ridiculous, it is like a paint manufacturer saying that you
> cannot sell your painting because you used their paint.
> POVray and Moray are tops anyway.

I'd rather have free paint for my private paintings and pay for commercial
ones than having to pay for paint for all my paintings.
(But I still prefer to have free paint for everything)

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Richard Morton
Date: 11 Aug 2000 06:39:16
Message: <39942CBC.480BEB9@hotmail.removethisbit.com>
It's more like the paintbrush than the paint but the principle does seem
ridiculous when put that way, e.g. would you buy a wrench that came with a
tag that said it was OK for personal use but if you used it to build a car,
then you couldn't ever sell the car.

On the other hand, since I wouldn't personally have any desire to sell or
profit from images then I will have a look at this. BTW if I produced
images and sold them but they were so bad that I made a loss rather than a
profit, would that be acceptable ?