POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Happy Birthday POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Happy Birthday POV-Ray (Message 31 to 40 of 43)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday POV-Ray
Date: 12 May 2000 06:16:36
Message: <391BD9F9.A1F83C1F@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Peter Popov wrote:

) )

Because you like it so much ...
it's

You could go on with

Marc

--

Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Joyal
Date: 12 May 2000 09:19:04
Message: <391c04c8@news.povray.org>
That's why I've never read a book translated from finnish.

Warp wrote in message <391bc13f@news.povray.org>...
>Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
>: Depends on the type of ship. In Russian (and all Slavic languages) all
>: nouns have a gender.
>
>  In finnish there's no this kind of phenomenon.
>
>  Moreover, in english you have "he" and "she", but in finnish you don't.

>  This can be pretty complicated when translating texts which relies
strongly
>in this aspect. For example if in english you say "he did it but she did
not",
>there's a problem when translating that to finnish. In this case you have
>to use either the names of those persons, or some other expression like
>"the boy did it but the girl did not" (of course supposing that in the
>context of that sentence it's known that he is a boy (and not and old man,
>for example), etc). It can be a problem if nothing is known about those
>persons but the gender.
>  However, that's not a big problem compared to the translation in the
>other way around. Suppose that the text only speaks about a person as

>in the fact that the gender is not disclosed until the very end (perhaps
>a mystery story or something). That is pretty hard to translate to english
>(or any other language where the gender is distinguished, which is very
>common).
>
>--
>main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
>):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

Post a reply to this message

From: simon A
Date: 12 May 2000 09:50:09
Message: <391c0c11$1@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:391bcfa4@news.povray.org...

>   Btw, another english word that is sometimes pretty hard to translate is
> "please". There exists no such word in finnish. There are some expressions
> that can be used in its place, but they don't work in all cases.
>   For example the sentence "please don't kill me!" is hard to translate if
> you expressly want that "please" to be included in one way or another.

It would inconvenience me greatly if you killed me.
--
s.

Post a reply to this message

From: TonyB
Date: 12 May 2000 10:16:10
Message: <391c122a@news.povray.org>

some time, but still get called that. It relies on their age, and the
general assumption that they're good girls.

Post a reply to this message