POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh to dxf conversion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:36:22 EDT (-0400)
  mesh to dxf conversion (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: mesh to dxf conversion
Date: 4 May 2000 08:07:12
Message: <391167f0@news.povray.org>
Can anyone suggest utility or give some advice on writing
a pov mesh to dxf file convertor.

I'd like to generate a triangle mesh in pov, write it to a file then convert
that
file to dxf for use in vue d'espirit. (Giles's make grass macro is far
superior to any grass that can be created in vue)

Comments and suggestions appreciated

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
* The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *

> Can anyone suggest utility or give some advice on writing
> a pov mesh to dxf file convertor.
>
> I'd like to generate a triangle mesh in pov, write it to a file then convert
> that
> file to dxf for use in vue d'espirit. (Giles's make grass macro is far
> superior to any grass that can be created in vue)
>
> Comments and suggestions appreciated

If you wish to programm this stuff you can have the dxf specification
from

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/3d-hi.html

I'm not sure but maybe crossroads can also convert from pov to dxf:

http://home.europa.com/~keithr/

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

You can do this with Crossroads. Replace the "mesh" statement in the ouput file
by "union", remove any texture or transformation statement and it should import
the file without any trouble.
The file should be only : union{triangle{...} triangle{...}... triangle{...}}

You can then convert it in DXF. In fact, regular triangles and spheres are the
only POV primitives that seem to be actually supported by Crossroads for
conversion to other formats.

G.

Gail Shaw wrote:

> Can anyone suggest utility or give some advice on writing
> a pov mesh to dxf file convertor.
>
> I'd like to generate a triangle mesh in pov, write it to a file then convert
> that
> file to dxf for use in vue d'espirit. (Giles's make grass macro is far
> superior to any grass that can be created in vue)
>
> Comments and suggestions appreciated
>
> Gail
> * gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
> * http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
> * The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *

If the mesh is created by a povray macro, it will not be that easy.
  You will need to output the values generated by the macro to a file
(perhaps in povray form, ie "union { triangle ... and so on", or directly
to a format known by the conversion program, like the raw format). For this
you will need to use the #write command and perhaps modify the macro a bit
to support this.

>  If the mesh is created by a povray macro, it will not be that easy.
>  You will need to output the values generated by the macro to a file
>(perhaps in povray form, ie "union { triangle ... and so on", or directly
>to a format known by the conversion program, like the raw format). For this
>you will need to use the #write command and perhaps modify the macro a bit
>to support this.

The macro already supports writing meshes to a file. I will still need to
modify
it a bit as I want the objects to fit on a height field.

Thanks

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
* The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *

>If you wish to programm this stuff you can have the dxf specification
>from
>
>http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/3d-hi.html
>
>I'm not sure but maybe crossroads can also convert from pov to dxf:
>
>http://home.europa.com/~keithr/

Thanks, I'll have a look at both.

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
* The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *

>You can do this with Crossroads. Replace the "mesh" statement in the ouput
file
>by "union", remove any texture or transformation statement and it should
import
>the file without any trouble.
>The file should be only : union{triangle{...} triangle{...}...
triangle{...}}

>You can then convert it in DXF. In fact, regular triangles and spheres are
the
>only POV primitives that seem to be actually supported by Crossroads for
>conversion to other formats.

Great!!