POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh to dxf conversion : Re: mesh to dxf conversion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh to dxf conversion
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 May 2000 08:48:02
Message: <391171AA.CD200AC4@inapg.inra.fr>
Warp wrote:

>   If the mesh is created by a povray macro, it will not be that easy.
>   You will need to output the values generated by the macro to a file
> (perhaps in povray form, ie "union { triangle ... and so on", or directly
> to a format known by the conversion program, like the raw format). For this
> you will need to use the #write command and perhaps modify the macro a bit
> to support this.

Since she was talking about my grass macro, this is already done there (set the
"dofile" parameter to "true"). The "dosmooth" parameter should be "false",
because the conversion is more of a problem for meshes that contain smooth
triangles, since Crossroads only supports regular ones. You can still re-smooth
the triangles in Crossroads if necessary.
When I can't regenerate a POV mesh without the smoothing, I import the mesh to
Excel, move the values into separated columns, remove the normals and save it
(and then import it into Crossroads). It's less straightforward but it works.

G.