POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modeller vs. hand coding... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  modeller vs. hand coding... (Message 21 to 30 of 33)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: sighmoan
Subject: Re: modeller vs. hand coding...
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:11:00
Message: <390617f4@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom...

> But I *would* like to see a modeling competition.

Miss POV? Miss Blobs? Miss Smooth Mesh? Surely not Miss Icy-Surface!

> These are my opinions.  I do NOT speak for the POV-Team.

Why, don't they like girls?

--
s. <ducks>

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Weber
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:18:54
Message: <390619ce$1@news.povray.org>
After a little thought of what is known to all world wide...
I thought of...

1. a toothbrush
2. a shoe
3. a key (for a lock)
4. ...?

--
Mike

wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber

From: Charles Fusner
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:21:18
Message: <390617C4.42F7AD84@enter.net>
Mike Weber wrote:

> A few weeks ago there was discussion as to what method was better to
> construct a POV scene: using a modeller such as Moray or doing it by
> straight POV text.

I contend it isn't necessary to choose one or the other. You get
the best of both worlds by using both together. I regard the text
editor as a form of specialty editor, as Leveller is to
heightfields, or Poser is to human and animal forms, or Rhino
and/or sPatch is to freeforms, so the text editor is to anything
that either can't be done in modeller, or at least can't be done
as easily. The hand code I then filter back into the modelled
scene as either an INC file or an UDO (in the case of Moray).
Having a general knowledge of a good variety of modellers *and*
text editing of scenes simply gives you a fuller toolbox
to work from, IMHO.

Post a reply to this message

> I contend it isn't necessary to choose one or the other. You get
> the best of both worlds by using both together. I regard the text
> editor as a form of specialty editor, as Leveller is to
> heightfields, or Poser is to human and animal forms, or Rhino
> and/or sPatch is to freeforms, so the text editor is to anything
> that either can't be done in modeller, or at least can't be done
> as easily. The hand code I then filter back into the modelled
> scene as either an INC file or an UDO (in the case of Moray).
> Having a general knowledge of a good variety of modellers *and*
> text editing of scenes simply gives you a fuller toolbox
> to work from, IMHO.

Though I count myself as a hand coder kind of guy there are admittedly
certain things I do use a utility for. An example would be the creation
of points for a lathe object. However when it comes time for actually
scene development I much prefer the text based interface over the
GUI method.[