POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modeller vs. hand coding... : Re: modeller vs. hand coding... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeller vs. hand coding...
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:21:18
Message: <390617C4.42F7AD84@enter.net>
Mike Weber wrote:

> A few weeks ago there was discussion as to what method was better to
> construct a POV scene: using a modeller such as Moray or doing it by
> straight POV text.

I contend it isn't necessary to choose one or the other. You get
the best of both worlds by using both together. I regard the text
editor as a form of specialty editor, as Leveller is to
heightfields, or Poser is to human and animal forms, or Rhino
and/or sPatch is to freeforms, so the text editor is to anything
that either can't be done in modeller, or at least can't be done
as easily. The hand code I then filter back into the modelled
scene as either an INC file or an UDO (in the case of Moray).
Having a general knowledge of a good variety of modellers *and*
text editing of scenes simply gives you a fuller toolbox
to work from, IMHO.