POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SSS - just an idea Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  SSS - just an idea (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: SSS - just an idea
Date: 18 Jan 2000 14:23:36
Message: <3884BD22.A2B5703@xs4all.nl>
John VanSickle has made an excellent suite to smoothen meshes. This is
nice but I wondered: wouldn't it be possible to incorporate this in the
POV engine itself? With a heightfield you can add the "smooth" keyword
and for meshes you can have smoothe triangles but I think it would be
really great if you could have a recursive smoothe like in John's
suit(e) ;) For that you would have to have another way to define a mesh.
The advantage of this would probably mainly be speed but also an easier
way to model all sorts of stuff (as John demonstrated with the tree
branche picture posted last week).
Is this a stupid idea?

Remco

Post a reply to this message

> John VanSickle has made an excellent suite to smoothen meshes. This is
> nice but I wondered: wouldn't it be possible to incorporate this in the
> POV engine itself? With a heightfield you can add the "smooth" keyword
> and for meshes you can have smoothe triangles but I think it would be
> really great if you could have a recursive smoothe like in John's
> suit(e) ;) For that you would have to have another way to define a mesh.
> The advantage of this would probably mainly be speed but also an easier
> way to model all sorts of stuff (as John demonstrated with the tree
> branche picture posted last week).
> Is this a stupid idea?
>
> Remco

I would say that it is not a bad idea. I have several sites listed
in the links collection that talk about subdivision surfaces and a
couple offers some fairly fast algorithms for this type of process.
There will be an obvious perfomance difference over John's utility
but it will still be a costly process especialy with high polygon
counts.