POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SSS - just an idea : SSS - just an idea Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  SSS - just an idea
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 18 Jan 2000 14:23:36
Message: <3884BD22.A2B5703@xs4all.nl>
John VanSickle has made an excellent suite to smoothen meshes. This is
nice but I wondered: wouldn't it be possible to incorporate this in the
POV engine itself? With a heightfield you can add the "smooth" keyword
and for meshes you can have smoothe triangles but I think it would be
really great if you could have a recursive smoothe like in John's
suit(e) ;) For that you would have to have another way to define a mesh.
The advantage of this would probably mainly be speed but also an easier
way to model all sorts of stuff (as John demonstrated with the tree
branche picture posted last week).
Is this a stupid idea?

Remco