POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SSS - just an idea : Re: SSS - just an idea Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSS - just an idea
From: Ken
Date: 18 Jan 2000 19:17:13
Message: <3884FF93.C05D3D01@pacbell.net>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> John VanSickle has made an excellent suite to smoothen meshes. This is
> nice but I wondered: wouldn't it be possible to incorporate this in the
> POV engine itself? With a heightfield you can add the "smooth" keyword
> and for meshes you can have smoothe triangles but I think it would be
> really great if you could have a recursive smoothe like in John's
> suit(e) ;) For that you would have to have another way to define a mesh.
> The advantage of this would probably mainly be speed but also an easier
> way to model all sorts of stuff (as John demonstrated with the tree
> branche picture posted last week).
> Is this a stupid idea?
>
> Remco

I would say that it is not a bad idea. I have several sites listed
in the links collection that talk about subdivision surfaces and a
couple offers some fairly fast algorithms for this type of process.
There will be an obvious perfomance difference over John's utility
but it will still be a costly process especialy with high polygon
counts.